Saturday, September 21, 2013

Grow it! Cook it! Eat it! Live it!

This weeks recipe is a grilled salsa.  I have been picking more tomatoes that we can eat fresh lately so I decided to make some salsa.   I really enjoy a salsa with a smoky flavour so I grilled all the veg before blending it.  I grilled Tomatoes (2 beefsteak tomatoes, and about 30 grape tomatoes), onion (about 4 large slices), garlic (3 cloves), one habenero, one cherry bomb pepper, and one yellow bell pepper.  I blackened the peppers so that I could remove the skin.  The onions and tomatoes I grilled till soft and the garlic I grilled till soft and removed the skin. Once everything was grilled and skinned I put it all in a blender with about 1/4 of lime juice, 1/2 cup of cilantro chopped, 1 tsp of coriander seeds, 1 tsp of zilitol (a sugar substitute) 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of pepper.  I blended it up and then canned it.  (Note this recipe was for a hot salsa because of the habenero you can adjust ingredients to match your spice level).



Thanks to Sharon for linking up last week with her Pumpkin and Silver Beet Lasagna.



2 comments:

  1. I added my link about the Hedgerow Jelly. When the Link said "Name" I presumed it meant MY name. Evidently not.. Is it possible to edit it retrospectively?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can delete and repost. I have done that on link-ins before. I wish I could make it say title or something instead of name but nope :(.
      Thanks for posting :)

      Delete